How To Install Multiple Versions Of SQL Server On Same Machine
Have you ever thought about migrating to a newer version of a Microsoft SQL Server database engine on the same windows server? This is no problem.
Here are the steps:
1) Backup your existing databases off of the existing server
2) Install the newer version of the Microsoft SQL Server database engine as a named instance. Good practice to have more than 1 disk drive on your windows server as you never want to install any database engine on the c drive since databases can grow faster than you think and you always want ample c drive free disk space to make your server perform optimally. You could have Microsoft SQL Server 2008 as the base instance and then install both Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and Microsoft SQL Server 2014 as named instances on the same server as long as each instance name is unique. During the installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or 2014 it will install the Microsoft Management Studio Tool for you. Microsoft has made its Management Studio tool a separate installation process when installing Microsoft SQL Server 2016.
3) Installing Microsoft SQL Server on the administrator server account will set up access to Microsoft Management Studio Tool for that administrator server account. However if you have more windows server accounts that need to have access to the new Microsoft Management Studio Tool then add those server accounts during this new installation. If you forget this step and want to grant access to a different server login at a later time, then login to the new Microsoft Management Studio Tool on the administrator account after installation has been completed and run these commands against the master database in an open SQL window:
create login [servername\serverloginname] from windows
exec sp_addsrvrolemember servername\’serverloginname’, ‘sysadmin’
4) Select the default directory choices except change the c: drive to d: or e: drive as explained in item 2 when going through the installation screens. This new install creates new folders so it does not affect the current placement of your old data and log database files for your older version of Microsoft SQL Server. Make sure you choose new instance and copy the instance name down for future reference.
5) When the installation is complete and you have set up databases under the newer version, just change your code to point at the new instance name you entered in step 4 ( of course you will also need the username and password for that particular database for your database call from your application)
6) For those installing Microsoft SQL Server 2017 in parallel on the same server, please see this warning “SQL Server 2017 cannot be installed side-by-side with earlier versions of SQL Server on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core SP1” on this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/install/work-with-multiple-versions-and-instances-of-sql-server
How We Can Help
Sozo Hosting has been specializing in windows cloud servers and windows dedicated servers since 2001 and can assist you set up different database configurations as explained above or to set up Microsoft SQL Server for high performance needs on a separate windows server. For example many of our clients run a windows web server for their front-end applications which interface to a separate windows server for their Microsoft SQL Server databases. We recommend windows cloud servers since they are attractively priced and can scale quickly to meet your growing needs. Please click on this contact us link for more information.