Installing Wordpress Free Blogging Software On Your Web Site
Before you begin, we recommend you selecting the Linux platform for your web site if you have not chosen a plan yet. If you already have a windows hosting plan, you can still do all the steps below however the one thing you will have to do is select the DEFAULT permalinks for the URL file name paths as CUSTOM permalinks are only supported in Linux platform. You can set up hosting a blog site for very low rates by clicking on this Linux Shared Hosting Plan link. Wordpress blogging software is free. We also offer windows dedicated server , linux dedicated server and coldfusion dedicated server hosting.
1. Download latest from http://www.wordpress.org and ftp the zip file to your web site and follow these instructions Login into your Control Panel with the Sozo username and password login information.
2. Create a database for your WordPress installation. Click the MySQL Server icon in your Control Panel home screen. Scroll down a little to see it, it's in Databases section.
How to access MySQL Server settings
3. Write down or copy the MySQL Server Host Name. If you dont see it now then you can just wait until step 12.
MySQL Server information
4. Click Add database at the bottom of the MySQL Databases list.
Add new database
5. Then enter the name of the database and write it down.
New database properties
6. On the next screen enter the database User name, Password and set User role to dba. You can use some password generator to make a secure password. Write all of this down.
Add MySQL user to database
Now your database is ready to be used by WordPress.
7. Next steps are about putting WordPress on your site and configuring it.
Get the latest WordPress here and download the zip file to your computer and scan for viruses (the same process you do for all downloads).
8. Either use the FTP manager icon program in your control panel or use your own secured ftp program for the next step. Use the FTP login information you received when you account was created to login to your FTP and see a list of domains you have. Copy the unpacked WordPress installation into root directory.
9. After it's uploaded, log on to your Sozo Control panel, click on the FTP manager, click on the FTP manager Shell to open a window to your folder as unpacking it is faster this way. Navigate to the zip file you uploaded, click on it, then select the uncompress option. After the zip file is uncompressed, all the contents of the zip file will be in the new folder called WordPress. If you dont want Wordpress to operate out of the root of your domain, then rename the WordPress folder to wp or blog so some folder name you want to it to operate out of. If you want the wordpress to operate out of your root folder (ie be your home page), then follow this step: Using the FTP Shell manager that you are still using at the start of this step,move to the wordpress newly created folder, then cut(move) all the files in this wordoress folder back to the root folder. Then delete the empty Wordpress folder.
10. You need to upload an .htaccess file to the folder wordpress will run out if if you want to use permalinks. Permalinks is only available on linux hosting plans.
For WordPress installs in a folder, create an index.php file with contents below where wp is the name of the folder wordpress is to be installed in:
11) . Make sure you have php turned on in your control panel. If you have the Linux shared hosting plan with is then it is already turned on for you.
12) if you forgot the IP host name in step3, in your control panel click on the mysql icon and make a note of the IP at the top of the screen which you will insert below
13. Copy wp-config-sample.php from your ftp folder to your computer. Rename this wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php . Open this wp-config.php in a text editor and edit the following 4 fields:
A) change the 'xxx_xxx' in this line: define('DB_ NAME, 'xxx_xxx'); to the db name you set up in the previous steps for mysql
B) change the 'xxx_xxx' in this line: define('DB_USER', 'xxx_xxx'); to the db user you set up in the previous steps for mysql
C) change the 'xxx_xxx' in this line: define('DB_PASSWORD', ''xxx_xxx''); to the db password you set up in the previous steps for mysql
D) change the 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' in this line: define('DB_HOST, 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'); to the ip address in step 12
Now ftp this edited wp-config.php file to the same folder wp-config-sample.php resides on.
14. You are now ready to fire up the install. Run the install in the root folder( by entering http://www.yourdomainname.com/" in a web browser) or the URL subfolder you selected in step 9.. If you dont want the blog as the home page, change the line in item 10 above from require('./wp-blog-header.php'); to require('./your subfolder name/wp-blog-header.php'); .
You will be asked for an admin username password and email id. Make sure you write this down. You will get an email from email@example.com to the email id you enter here as a confirmation if you have mail services turned on for your domain hosting account.
15. After you finish the installation it will let you log into the admin system so go ahead log in. Make this Wordpress login URL a browser favourite for future log ons. After you log in you can select a theme by click on the Appearance menu item on the left and then the Install Themes tab on right and then enter a name of a theme you found on the web that is for free. (Search in Google for Free wordress themes). Entering that name in the search box and then install it when you find it all through this same wordpress screen. You will need to click on the Activate link to finish the install on this screen.
16. You are now done with the install so now start playing around with wordpress going to www.wordpress.org for more instructions.
17. As mentined at the top of this page, if you want CUSTOM permalinks on your Linux hosting plan, please notify us as we have to set up security in your directory before this function will work. Once we make this change you will be able to view the other pages in your blog besdes the home page.
18. Tips as you get started: A) Add the All in One SEO Pack plug in which is free and set your tile and meta data on each page and post. The Akismet plug in is already installed so just activate it You must enter your Akismet API key for it to work. If you choose to activate this spam blocker then you may have to pay a charge from Akismet depending on if your site is personal for for business.